AD

AD
YOUR AD HERE

Artist Spotlight - "Abys"

Artist: Abys
Age: Local Legend, Ha!
Hometown: Newport Newz
Genre: Hip Hop
Mixtapes/Albums: VA Stand Up, Between a Rock and a Hard Place, The Best of Abys..
Latest Project: Substance Abuse
Links:
Reverbnation www.reverbnation.com/abysvafirst
Twitter www.twitter.com/iamVAs1st
FB Fan Page  www.facebook.com/pages/Abys/132090050627
Facebook www.facebook.com/abys.vafirst ...
Email: va1stlady@gmail.com

---

Q: Briefly describe your life growing up. 
A: Growing up was cool .. I had my share of problems ... I have an older half brother I grew up with that basically made me his little brother so that's the reason for my Tomboy antics. From wrestling, football, to basketball I played it all. Coming up my mom made sure we didn't want for much. She worked hard as a single parent to make it better for us, she never was complacent and always took the Lead and responsibility in all she did.  I truly get my grind and work ethic from her.  I have 8 aunts and had both sets of grandmothers and great grandmothers until 2003 so I had a looooong line of strong empowering women to look up to outside of the superficial beauty and strength we acknowledge and accept as real today.

Q:  How long have you been doing music? 
A: I've been writing and performing since elementary. My 1st taste of studio life was when Iwas 14 years old at an old studio on the corner of Madison Ave and 36th st. called Inner Soul studios ran by a producer named Wink. Since then, I've been going hard at it since 2003. 2006 is when I generated an outside of VA buzz networking up and down the southeastern seaboard, performing, winning awards, reppin that VA Life.

Q: What artists have you collaborated with? 
A: Too many to name.  a lot outside of VA. My most memorable collaboration is when I linked in 2005 with Bishop of Reality Muzik Group based out of Va. Beach. Back then it wasn't too many southside/peninsula collaborations going on and I feel that helped break down the barrier and started performing live together on both sides of the water introducing each other to our World.

Q: What producers have you worked with?
A: D Ruggz, T Li, Hershey, KoKayn, Biggz, Ghostwalker, Top Shelf, Rick Rogers, Joe City, Azia, and a lot more… Smokers brain, don’t judge me.. lol

Q: Scale from 1-10.. What would you rate your stage performance?
A: I would give myself a 10 because every time I perform I give 150% and feel every word flowing from my lips.

Q: Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? 
A: I see myself as a Mentor, Motivational Speaker, or a community Philanthropist... But whatever I do I know music will be a critical part of it because it's my passion.

Q: Do you think your career in the industry will be long term? 
A: My career will be as long as I desire it to be. Only I can put an end to my legacy.

Q: If you weren't so deeply involved with music. What do you think you would be doing besides music? 
A: I would be mentoring children, teens, or volunteering for workshops and skill development centers to encourage our Black Youth to push them further than they could ever imagine. I would also run outreach programs that instill African American heritage, culture, and history while providing them the technical, verbal, and professional skills needed to excel.

Comments